- Sunday September 7th – Great American Ballpark
- Game (143): Reds 4 – Cubs 3
- Record (86-57) – 1st place NL Central
The skinny: You’re nuts if you think Kerry Wood blew this game; Ronnie Cedeno’s error – ruled hit- did.
Cedeno says the ball took a tough hop…maybe so, but he’s paid major league bones to make plays on tough hops, especially game-ending double play hops.
My guess is Ronnie keeps Fukudome company in Lou’s dog house the next two weeks.
Unfortunately, it’s a tough break for a guy I’ve been pulling for all season.
In Cedeno’s last 29 games he’s batting 15-for-43 (.348 avg.) and has 5 RBIs in his last six starts.
But, his gaff this afternoon is a deal breaker with Lou…the skipper won’t stand for such plays in September…(ie) see Fukudome.
Topping things off, the Cubs drop the series against the lowly Reds before heading to St. Louis for a three game set.
Believe it or not, the Cubs haven’t lost a rubber match since July 6th at St. Louis, a string of seven games.
Not to mention, the last time Chicago dropped a road rubber match dates all the way back to May 25th at Pittsburgh, some 15 weeks ago.
Sorry, but the remaining series down the stretch won’t come any easier than Cincy…missed opportunity on the Cubs part to feed off Marshall’s solid outing and to extend the division lead.
Back to business Tuesday.
W – Cordero (5-4)
L – Wood (4-4)
- Notes: The Cubs have lost 7 of its past 8 games, ans 2.5 games on the division lead.
- Geez, what do ya know, the Cubs’ bullpen allowed 15 runs in 10.1 innings pitched during the series: that’s an ERA hovering at 13.06.
- Chicago has 19 games remaining.
- Two cool headlines on milestone markers 456 & 552: