It’s all about Soriano’s healthy legs, his wheels appearing to be fully healthy for the first time since signing with the Cubs. He’s now nailed three clutch home runs this season, two of which were game winners.
Healthy legs = healthy swing.
Sori goes down flailing in three of his first four at-bats, it looks as if his hot streak is all but over…fifth at-bat, BANG!, game-winning home run.
Without a red-hot Soriano the Cubs are sub-.500 in the standings.
Alfonso gets the spotlight but Aramis was the real difference maker. Three hits, three RBIs, two of which came with two outs.
It’s never easy facing a rookie pitcher for the first time, but the Cubs did a nice job against the 24-year-old Walters by scoring early and then forcing the rook out after four innings and a lofty 96 pitches.
It’s no secret the Cards’ weakness is it’s bullpen. Get to the pen and Chicago has a chance to win every game. Cubs didn’t take advantage Thursday and it cost them a victory…different story Friday and a much better outcome.
Gutty performance by Zambrano. Chances of the Cubs winning this game without Carlos lasting seven innings is slim-to-none. And better, the seven earned runs didn’t lessen his attitude about the team winning the game.
Obviously, Z wasn’t his usual self, but understand this Cardinals team can hit the snot out of the baseball too.
Cardinals are going to get their runs in the next two games…BUT THE CUBS HAVE ALL THE LEVERAGE AGAINST THE ST. LOUIS BULLPEN!
Anyone notice D-Lee has become the player’s official mouth piece since DeRosa’s departure???
- Notes: Cubs (6-4) 2nd
- W: Heilman (2-0) L: Perez (0-1) S: Marmol (2)
- Prior to Friday’s start Zambrano entered the game (0-2) with a 25.50 ERA in his last two outing against St. Louis.
- In three starts this season Zambrano has managed 20 strikeouts vs. nine walks in 19 innings pitched.
- Cubs pitching leads the majors with 95 strikeouts, nine of those coming Friday.
- Soriano has hit safely in nine of his first 10 games.
- The Cubs’ lineup is averaging five walks per contest, they drew four more Friday.