A Chicago Cubs Blog
EST. 2007

Connect

Join The Bandwagon

Search

Receive notifications of new posts by email.

Bullpen Brian's Tweets

Pitching Greats At Wrigley Field

By bullpenbrian at 11.04.2010 6 comments.

I was excited to be back at the United Center Wednesday night. Mainly, I was thrilled to get my first look in the flesh at Marty Brodeur.

To see one of the greats of all-time between the pipes is like seeing a Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddux pitch.

Brodeur has led the Devils to three Stanley Cup championships, is a four-time Vezina Trophy winner, a two-time gold medalist and a 10-time All Star. To say he’s the best ever in goal is no stretch.

Brodeur, unfortunately, left the game in the second period with a bruised right elbow. And to make matters worse, the Hawks lost 5-3 to a New Jersey team that ranked dead last in the Eastern Conference.

Meanwhile, I’ve been fortunate to see numerous greats pitch at Wrigley Field.  Just in the past few seasons I’ve caught Pedro, Glavine, Oswalt, Lee and Halladay. But a few others I’d like to see remain.

Here’s my list in no particular order: Johan Santana, David Price, Ubaldo Jimenez, Felix Hernandez. Who else should I add?

6 Comments

1. Douglas Heeren says:

My dad once went to Wrigley on a long weekend to see a few games and got to see Fergie, Holtzman, Bill Hands and Pappas. In the early 60′s he saw Lindy McDaniel pitch out of the pen in the same game that Elroy Face pitched for the Pirates. Both guys threw the forkball, real dirty stuff. My uncle was at a game in Wrigley where Lindy picked Mays off second base in the top of the 9th then hit a bomb to win the game in the bottom of the 9th.

• bullpenbrian says:

Dude, those are awesome memories!
      It’s also a good exercise to ask yourself what’s the greatest game you’ve ever seen in person at Wrigley?
      I’ve got to think about that one.

2. Douglas Heeren says:

I’ve never been to Wrigley for a game. Toured it once on a science trip to Chicago. The parks I’ve see are, The old Met in Minneapolis, The Masque(Dome) in Minneapolis, old Comisky in 1972, Dick Allen & Carlos May hit bombs while Wilbur Wood pitched. They beat the Royals who had Freddie Patek and Cookie Rojas in the infield. Both of those guys could land roles in the Wizzard of Oz. Royals Stadium in about 1973. Saw Gaylord Perry and Cleveland beat the Royals. Oscar Gamble swung and missed and a 2-foot afro popped out as his helmet fell off. The Indians also had Graig Nettles and Chris Chambliss in their pre-Yankees days. I was at the first game ever in the Metro Dome, Twins vs. Mariners. Saw Nebraska beat the Gophers 84-13 in 1983 in the dome. In the mid 70′s I saw games in Oklahoma City and Phoenix while on vacation. Of course when I lived in Las Vegas in 1988-89, the Padres minor league club the Stars had the Alomar brothers and Andy Benes. Saw Matt Williams play for Phonix.

• bullpenbrian says:

Wow! Great stuff.
      I’ve always wanted to make it to KC for a game, and especially since the renovations.
      The water falls are a beautiful touch, like the ivy at Wrigley Field.
      Never made it to Minnesota’s dome, but overwhelmingly heard it wasn’t much of a venue.
      The Dayton Dragons’ Fifth/Third Field (Reds’ Class A affiliate) is the best minor league park I’ve been to.

3. Douglas Heeren says:

The Cubs play in KC for inter league this year. I plan on being there June 24-26. KC is closer than Chicago for me. I am going to look into a Cubs bus trip. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a bus ride, a game ticket and the ride home. The Cubs host the Yankees June 17-19. That would be the games to see. I might be able to talk my dad into going, he being a Yankee fan since 1947.

• bullpenbrian says:

Hey, good eyes on the schedule!
      Heading to KC would be a fun trip.
      The Yankees series will be awesome.
      I’ve been to The Cell a few time to catch a glimpse of Jeter, Pettitte & Rivera–my favorite pinstripers.
      If you’re headed this way for the Yanks series check out the ticket options for the Skybox on Sheffield.

Our Sponsors