I’ve offered to host a hot-debate between two @BullpenBrian Twitter followers.
The matter at hand is whether or not Jim Hendry should have traded 5-prospects for Matt Garza on January 8, 2011. (Hak-Ju Lee, Chris Archer, Robinson Chirinos, Sam Fuld & Brandon Guyer).
Below is a summary of each case. Please vote to determine the winner. May the best case win.
Court’s now in session:
THE MIGHTY CHEWBACCA – Twitter @Spoda17
This was a lose trade for the Cubs.
- Jim Hendry made a desperation move to try and save his job.
- You make this trade when you are 1-2 players away, not when you only have 1-2 players.
- Cubs traded top prospect, Chris Archer, and #4 prospect Hak-Ju Lee for Garza–a middle of the rotation starter.
- Cliff Lee didn’t bring that kind of haul when he was traded from Cleveland to Philadelphia.
- The Cubs gave up too many good young players at time of trade.
MIND OF STAN (THE MAN) CROUSSETT – Twitter @MindofStan
The Cubs were the winners of the Matt Garza trade.
- Chris Archer was considered the top Cubs pitching talent, but he continues to struggle mightily with pitch command.
- SS Hak-Ju Lee was once considered the best defensive SS in Chicago’s system, but that’s about it. You can find him today playing at High A.
- C Robinson Chirisnos is already 28 and hasn’t accumulated enough ABs to be considered anything more than rookie. He’s currently injured and on the inactive roster.
- OF Brandon Guyer suffered season-ending shoulder surgery earlier this season while Sam Fuld, a slower-but-better-defensive-Tony-Campana, is also recovering from season ending surgery.
- Do Cubs fans really want this bunch back?