This is it, folks. One more week of spring games before the lid lifter at Pittsburgh on April 1st. And somewhat surprisingly, this year marks the first time since 1978 the Cubs will open on the road against the Pirates. Who knew?
Meanwhile, this time next weekend the Cubs will be in Houston for two exhibition games against the Astros to wrap up the spring. Entering this afternoon’s Cactus League contest against the Angels at HoHoKam Stadium, the Cubs are (14-15) overall having won 9 of their last 14 games.
Minutia of note:
- Cubs pitching has walked just 2 batters in the last 5 games.
- And for the spring has allowed 3 or fewer walks in 18 games (Nice).
- Chicago’s 43 spring HRs are second most in the majors (Seattle, 47).
- David DeJesus is on a 10-game hitting streak.
- Dioner Navarro leads the club with 11 RBI.
- Carlos Marmol has not allowed a run over his last 6 outings (5.2 IP).